The world’s largest gothic castle, former seat of the Teutonic Grand Masters and also the capital of State of the Teutonic Order. The mighty castle complex extends to the area of 25 hectares and it consists of three parts: High Castle, Medium Castle and the Low Castle. In 1997 a massive fortress has been entered in the list UNESCO World Heritage. Today Malbork is primarily a huge museum complex visited annually by nearly half a million tourists. In the summer night tour is being organized as a part of ‘The Light and Sound’ performance. Every year is also presented a re-enactment of the historic siege of 1410.
One of the best preserved castles of the Teutonic Knights on the Lower Vistula. His massive and very characteristic shapes dominate the city. After many turns of history (destruction, fires) the fortress has been successfully restored for tourists and lovers of medieval history.
The castle is now a thriving cultural center, which offers the visitors many cultural interesting attractions and events. It should be mentioned tournaments, knights fights or historical reconstruction ‘Vivat Vasa!’. Finally a few words about the city buildings – is the best preserved historic urban arrangement in Pomerania!
Another Teutonic castle in the area of ??the Lower Vistula in good condition preserved to this day. The most characteristic element of the fortress is very long ‘gdanisko’, that is tower-toilet with communication corridor. Today in the castle is a large and interesting museum – branch of the Malbork Castle Museum. The historical value of the fort greatly increases the adjacent cathedral – former seat of the Pomezania bishops.
The fortress built in the years 1398-1405 was considered the most modern in the country of the Teutonic. To this day survived the three castle wings with the corner towers. Inside the old fort it is a museum of Western-Kashubian presenting many interesting exhibits of Kashubian culture. The tour runs through the castle porches, halls, basements and cellars. The castle is particularly attractive during the summer months when the shows are often staged of knights fights and numerous concerts and outdoor events.
Pelplin – a small town in the southern part of the Pomorskie Voivodeship, located by the river Wierzyca. Almost the entire history of the place is associated with important sacred function. First, by a few hundred years officiated the Cistercians here, then in this small town was established the capital of the Diocese of Chelmno, and since 1992 operates here an independent center of Pelplin’s Diocese.
Tourists amazes unusual accumulation of outstanding historical monuments. One such monument is the cathedral of the Assumption of Virgin Mary – this is the second largest brick church in Poland and inside you can see one of the largest altars in Europe! On a tourist route must also be found Diocesan Museum with a copy of the Gutenberg Bible – the only preserved in Poland. Interesting place is the The Pope Mountain – here the pope John Paul II celebrated Holy Mass.